Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gender Classes!

What a great idea! A math class with all girls. This would be fantastic. I can only imagine the math concepts that could be tackled. Not because girls are smarter, but because developmentally their brains are able to handle it.

What a great idea! A math class with all boys. This would be fantastic. I can only imagine the math concepts that could be tackled. Not because boys are smarter but, because developmentally their brains are NOT ready to handle it.


Ok let me explain, I have read a few articles about gender specific classes. Some of the research says that this is the ideal way to teach. Mixing genders in middle school creates a really weird atmosphere. First, for the boys: How can I impress on the girls that I am the stud they need to be dating? How badly can I humiliate my friends?  How badly can I beat you at anything?  These are the thoughts of the little adults running around in the halls. IT is all about competition!

Now for the girls: I guarantee they are more worried about their self image than the math concept being taught that day, and its the boys that drive this thought. The girls are far less to compete and more likely to socialize together; however they are also more likely to socialize about the math concept. The pressure will be off, they can be smart and show it!

The last 2 days I divided my class up one side of boys and one side of girls. So far the girls side has been more productive and has demonstrated a deeper understanding of concepts. The boys side have not accomplished much ok nothing and all are behind in the work. Is this little experiment telling me that I need to find a way to have gender classes?

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea. I think girls and boys have no business "mixing" in the way they do now days in middle school. Now I sound old. I am going to curl up in fetal position, suck my thumb, and cry myself to sleep.

    ReplyDelete