Monday, September 12, 2011

Start Me Up

Weekends go by faster than a NASCAR race. Getting back into the swing of things is often difficult on a Monday morning, especially if you are in math class. Nothing like a little Rolling Stones action to get the kids up and moving. Once the kids got going a lot got accomplished. Everything from Greatest Common Factors to Laws of Exponents were discussed.

I was able to point out to one of the main differences between 7th grade girls and 7th grade boys today. I asked the kids to write down the names of two celebrities that they have a crush on. The girls giggled and the boys didn't understand. (THE DIFFERENCE) So, I demonstrated; I picked Sara Evans and Sandra Bullock. The girls giggled and the boys didn't understand. I wrote down the characteristics I admired about each lady. I then underlined the common characteristics. The kids got to work, but I was asked about 100 times if my wife knew about these crushes. (I told them no and to keep it a secret)........ Its not like I am heading out on a date with either one anytime soon.
The girls were gitty with excitement because they got to talk about Justin Bieber and the boys well they didn't understand.

Now, One might ask what the heck does a crush have to do with greatest common factors? It got the kids to list and underline the characteristics that were common in both crushes. That is the first step in finding the GCF.

THE GIRLS GIGGLED AND THE BOYS DIDN'T UNDERSTAND!


2 comments:

  1. Oh what you are not going to explain to them about how those girls are on your list that if you ever do have a "chance" with them you have my blessing to have a "hall pass" -- LOL

    My list is longer though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, too funny!!

    You are such a great teacher Nate:-)

    ReplyDelete