Thursday, September 22, 2011

MAY-DAY.........MAY-DAY..........MAY-DAY




Originally, I wanted to post some opinions about bullies in our schools because that seems to be a recurring theme these last few days, not only locally but nationally as well. The opinions I have may ruffle a few feathers, so I will save that for cold day this winter.

It was picture day and all of the students looked their best for the camera. Not sure how I lucked out, but pictures did not interrupt my math classes at all this year.  The first 4 periods were great then came 5th. This is the hardest period of the day, not because it is advanced 8th grade but because it is after lunch. The kids are full and the last thing on their mind is math! I spend a lot of high energy in this period just to keep the little buggers awake.........and also to keep me awake; after all I just ate lunch also! So I was excited, the lesson was going spectacular, the kids were paying attention and actually using their pencils instead of chewing on them. (That is if they brought them) This was a great lesson on adding and subtracting in scientific notation. The kids were understanding while I was guiding them through the steps. Success, or so I thought. When it can time to the independent practice the Stuka's started their decent! It was very clear that I was the only one convinced that this lesson was great!

Yes I was not successful with this lesson, I believe I might even had said some choice words after they left for the day. Like I told my students the first couple days of class, "you will fail, but it is what you do after the failure that really matters!"

BRING IT ON!


2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I have to ask...what are your opinions about the bullying?? It's been a big problem in my life, and I see SOOO much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I was thinking I was the bees knees because I actually got Thomas to understand prime and composite numbers yesterday. A whole room full of 8th graders and I'd be knitting a noose for myself!

    And it still won't let me post with my google account, so it's me....you know who in ND!

    ReplyDelete